(Fried Spicy Shrimp)
1/2 – 1 lb. cooked shrimp (medium sized)
4-5 cloves garlic, sliced thin
2 shallots, chopped fine
8-10 green/red chilies (cut into pieces)
2 vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
1-2 pieces lemon grass, sliced and pounded fine (sereh)
6 lemon leaves (daun jeruk)
40 gm ginger
60 ml tomato ketchup
Sugar, salt and pepper – to taste
1. Heat oil in a wok or deep fry pan over medium-high heat.
2. Sauté garlic and onion for 2-3 minutes until light brown.
3. Add chili and gingers continue to sauté for another 1 minute.
4. Add the lemon grass and lemon leaves and stir for another 1 minute.
5. Add 11/2 cups (375ml) boiling water. Stir for 5 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly.
6. Add the cooked shrimp and tomatoes (you can add a little bit of tomato ketchup if you need)
7. At last add sugar, salt, pepper and a bit of sweet soy sauce to taste.
8. Cook until boiling and stir occasionally (until shrimps are cooked through).
9. Allow to boil for a few minutes before turning off heat.